Even if you brush your teeth every day and take care of your oral hygiene, is your smile as bright as you think it should be?
A good oral hygiene routine can slow down the teeth discoloration process, but it eventually happens. All a person can do is to prevent it because once it’s done, it’s not easy to go back.
There are many factors behind teeth discoloration. Some of them are coffee, tea, medications, aging, and so on. You may not want to avoid your favorite foods, but you can surely take care of your teeth to avoid discoloration.
There are several teeth whitening procedures that one can use to get a bright smile.
- Professional Teeth Whitening Procedure. A professional teeth whitening procedure that uses gel to whiten your teeth is done by a dentist. The procedure gives your teeth instant whitening but can be costly.
- Custom Tray for Home Use. You can purchase the milder whitening gel from the store and get the procedure done at the comfort of your home. This procedure does not guarantee teeth whitening.
Although both procedures may sound the same to some people, they are not. A professional teeth whitening procedure is much more effective and is a preferred way.
Why Should You Opt for Teeth Whitening by a Dentist?
Before moving to discuss the cost of the teeth whitening procedure, it’s important to discuss why you should opt for professional services.
Even though you can get the procedure done at home through over-the-counter products, prescription gels, etc. but it might not be worth it. As per the American Dental Association (ADA), these products consist of various peroxide compounds. It’s when the professional whitening treatment comes in place, which may cost a little more, but it will not harm you.
So how can professional teeth whitening help you?
- It comes with dental supervision. With many different teeth whitening products available in the market, you can never know if you will choose the right one. A professional teeth whitening procedure is carried out under dental supervision after proper examination of your teeth and oral hygiene. The expert will decide if the treatment is good for your teeth or not.
- It uses strong active ingredients in whitening gels. Despite the peroxide components in prescription gels, a dental procedure involves strong active ingredients in gels. The in-office treatments involve the use of whitening gels that comes with a high concentration of whitening agents. The procedure is carried out by an expert, so they can better handle the situation. The use of such ingredients often cause sensitivity, but with a professional dentist working on it, it won’t be an issue for you.
- It gives instant results. With professional services, you can expect quick results without putting the gel 3-4 times. The gel comes with strong ingredients, so you can expect your teeth to stay white for a few weeks if you take care of them.
Getting a professional teeth whitening procedure is highly recommended because often teeth discoloration is caused due to some underlying disease. Only an expert can help you to identify the real cause, so it’s best to talk to a dentist before buying whitening gels from the market.
What Are Your Teeth Whitening Options?
When it comes to pricing, teeth whitening procedures may differ in pricing. Here are some procedures that you can avail of along with expecting cost.
Professional Teeth Whitening Procedure (Approx. $650/session)
In-office teeth whitening is carried out with high-concentration whitening gels. The procedure takes involves the application of the peroxide gel on teeth for several intervals of 15-20 minutes. A dentist does not perform the procedure without protecting the gums. For those who have stubborn stains, the dentist might recommend them to get bleaching sessions for whitening. A dentist also runs a thorough examination of oral hygiene to see if you’re the right fit for the treatment.
Over-the-Counter Whitening Gels (Approx. $20-$100)
Need a quick and affordable fix for your teeth discoloration? Over-the-counter whitening gels are the answer for it. Although these gels do not contain a high concentration of whitening agents, they are enough to reduce the discoloration to some extent. The procedure is usually carried out with the help of one-size-fits-all trays that contain the whitening gel. You can also get them in the form of paint-on applicators or strips.
Is Teeth Whitening Procedure for You?
The good thing about teeth whitening procedure is that anyone can get it. People usually opt for this treatment to maintain good oral hygiene. However, one should know that teeth sensitivity and receding gums might cause teeth sensitivity. Apart from it, stubborn stains might not vanish with over-the-counter whitening gels. It’s important to get an expert’s advice on teeth whitening to ensure excellent results. A dentist is the best option to tell you if you’re a good candidate for a teeth whitening procedure or not.
What’s the Take?
Teeth whitening is a common procedure that helps in adding a brightening effect to your smile. Oral hygiene is an important part of overall health. If you’re looking to get a whitening procedure done on your teeth, then it’s best to get a professional on board.
Teeth discoloration can be due to a variety of reasons, which is why an expert’s opinion can benefit you in the long term. Whitening applicators or gels in the market might not be helpful for everyone, hence, a professional procedure may be your last option.
Getting in touch with a good dentist is essential to make sure you get the procedure done without any error. Some people might face sensitivity issues, but a good dentist knows how to relieve your pain.
If you’re looking for a temporary and affordable option, then over-the-counter products are the right option for you. However, if you’re up for a professional treatment that lasts for a good few weeks, then a professional procedure is the answer for you. It might be a little expensive, but it’s better than investing your money again and again in the same procedure.